The the 2018 CCM Preseason Football Previews are made possible by the support of County College of Morris, The Orthopedic Institute of New Jersey and Academic Resources. CCM offers an excellent education at an affordable price that is close by. Orthopedic Institute of NJ has locations in Cedar Knolls, Succasunna, Newton, Sparta, Hackettstown and Washington. They also have urgent care hours 7-days a week at their Succasunna location so injured athletes can see an orthopedic specialist immediately. Academic Resources provides amazing test prep and college planning services right in Morris Plains that eliminates the anxiety of the college process while helping families get the best education at the best price. Reach out to all three and tell them Morris Sussex Sports sent ya!
Playoff Appearances: 19
Finals Appearances: 8
Sectional Titles: 4
Playoff Record: 14-15 (.482)
Head Coach: Bill Regan
2017 Record: 7-3
Assistants: Jeff Churchill, Mike Sala, Pete Nienstadt, Peter Staluppi, Jim Pisciotto, Pete Cervona & Gerry Moore
Franchise Player: Senior Chris Marra (RB/LB) RB, MLB Sr. 6-0 185
Hottest Selling Jersey: #32 Senior Brydon Gibbs (RB/DB) SS, RB Sr. 5-9 160
All Everything Watch: Senior Michael Kaiser (RB/DB) RB, SS Sr. 5-7 145
Under the Radar: Senior Joe Desimone (OL/DL) G, DT Sr. 5-10 215
Lives in the Weight Room: Senior Ryan McEntee (C/LB) C, OLB Sr. 6-0 220
Could Play in Any Era: Senior Connor Chegwidden (QB) 5-8, 160
Five Key Points
1. Since the 1970s, coach Bill Regan has been at the helm of the Golden Eagles. And since then he’s run the Houston Split-back Veer offense which is hard to defend because there are a lot of fakes and changes mid-play based on what defense does. It’s proved to serve him well as has four state titles to his name.
2. Having a player that can act as field general is what makes this offense successful. Senior QB Connor Chegwidden has been part of this varsity squad first as a receiver when he was a sophomore, then as quarterback as a junior. He’ll be the guy who is driving this ship.
3. Knoll’s has 18 seniors on this squad so most of the guys who will be on the field will be in 12th grade. This is a physically and intellectually mature group who will be the oldest team on their schedule. That will be a distinct advantage for this Knolls group.
4. Lineman Joe Desimone (5-10, 215) and Ryan McEntee (6, 220) will be the leaders of a big and athletic group that will man the trenches. Michael Kaiser, Chris Marra and Brydon Gibbs will be the featured backfield. Gibbs is a dynamic player who can also be a game-changer in the return game.
5. Regan’s Veer always gives headaches to opposing coaches. Players are always tackling the wrong player and getting faked out by the misdirection. However, a lot of teams on this schedule have been schooled so many times they are now wise to how to defend it better. Knoll’s schedule won’t be easy, but the veteran leadership this team has is loaded with will pay big dividends. Where Regan’s Veer will come into play the most will be in the playoffs because those teams are not as familiar with how to defend it. The trick is going to be getting there.
09-07 @ Morris Hills Morris Hills HS
09-15 Randolph Morris Knolls HS
09-21 @ Mount Olive Mount Olive HS
09-28 Delbarton Morris Knolls HS
10-06 Morristown Morris Knolls HS
10-12 @ Roxbury Roxbury HS
10-19 @ West Morris West Morris HS
10-27 No. Highlands Morris Knolls HS