Coach Gallagher’s latest stint is as special team’s coach for Delbarton where he leads one of the most potent specialist’s teams in the state.
Morris Sussex Sports talks to long time legendary Morris-Sussex football coach Gerry Gallagher. This informative and entertaining podcast talks about Gallagher’s career as a football coach in Morris-Sussex and the college ranks, some interesting perspectives of how he dealt with parents and a little nostalgia as he talked about some of the all time Morris-Sussex greats.
- Gerry Gallagher (born December 15, 1951) is an American football coach and former player. Gallagher served as the head coach at Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania from 1986 to 1988 and at William Paterson University from 1989 to 1996, compiling a career college football record of 44–64–1.
- A native of Morris County, New Jersey, Gallagher attended Morris Catholic High School, where he graduated in 1969. He then attended William Paterson University to play football for the school’s first ever team. Gallagher would score the first two touchdowns in the program’s history.
- Gallagher began his coaching career at Morris Catholic High School, where he served as an assistant coach from 1973 to 1976. In 1977, he became the new head coach and held that position until 1983. Gallagher’s first college football coaching job was spent at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania for the 1984 and 1985 seasons as an offensive coordinator, followed by three years at Saint Francis and eight at William Paterson. Since 1997 he has coached at Montville High School in New Jersey.
- Through the 2009 college football season, Gallagher is the only William Paterson coach to guide his team to any playoff appearances. In 1991, William Paterson made it to the first round of the ECAC playoffs, and in 1993 they made it to the second round of the NCAA Division III playoffs.
- In 2015, Coach Gallagher began coaching the defensive backs at the Delbarton School, in Morristown, New Jersey. He was named Special Teams Coordinator at Delbarton in 2016.
- In addition, Gallagher was inducted into the New Jersey Football Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 2011 following him being Coach Of The Year in 2006.
1969–1972 William Paterson
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1973–1976 Morris Catholic HS (NJ) (assistant)
1977–1983 Morris Catholic HS (NJ)
1984–1985 Edinboro (PA) (OC)
1986–1988 Saint Francis (PA)
1989–1996 William Paterson
1997–2010 Montville HS (NJ)
2011–2012 Boonton HS (NJ) (assistant)
2013–present Parsippany HS (NJ) (OC)