Connect with us


The Delbarton Green Wave is on their way to a state championship game after a 38-26 victory over Saint John Vianney Lancers.

On Saturday afternoon, November 22, the Green Wave got the crowd roaring after Delbarton’s Ian Lodge received John Chiarolanzio’s TD pass, putting the first points on the board with four minutes and twenty-five seconds left in the first quarter. Carter Masengill kicked the extra point, making it 7-0, the Green Wave, at the end of the first quarter.

The Green Wave didn’t let up in the second quarter and started strong with a touchdown by sophomore Andrew Papantonis. Masengill’s second kick was good, making the score 14-0, the Green Wave.

The Lancers fought back, with Tionne Harris returning the kick to the Lancer’s 47-yard line. Lancer fans rose to their feet anticipating a big play, but a fumble turned the ball over to the Green Wave. A few plays later, Tionne Harris was back at it, this time crossing the plane with only two minutes and five seconds remaining in the first half. The kick was blocked by Delbarton’s Andrew Otterman, which left the score at 14-6, the Green Wave. With only seconds left in the first half, Delbarton’s Masengill split the uprights again, making it 17-6 at the half.

Papantonis left the locker room fired up for the third quarter, and seventeen seconds in he scored another touchdown. Masengill’s third kick was good, making the score 24-6, and making him one of the most valuable players on the field.

The Lancers weren’t giving up, and a Jordon Von Alst TD and John Antonacci PAT tightened the score to 24-13, putting Saint John Vianney back in the game—but their optimism was short-lived.

With Papantonis back on the field, it wasn’t long before Delbarton scored, making it the sophomore’s third TD of the day, with six minutes and fifteen seconds remaining in the third quarter. Masengill’s fourth kick was also good, making the score 31-13, the Green Wave.

The Lancers slugged back, this time putting points up with a Tionne Harris TD. After another extra point, and at the end of the third quarter, the Green Wave was holding on 31-20. The Lancers struck again, with a fourth quarter Von Alst TD, leaving two minutes and thirty-one seconds remaining in the game.

The Lancers passed a ball into the endzone for a two-point conversion that was intercepted by Papantonis. The Delbarton sophomore superstar then scored the final Green Wave touchdown with fifty-seven seconds left in the game. Masengill’s fifth and final kick was good, leading the Green Wave to victory with a final score of 38-26.

As Papantonis came off the field, he was already thinking about the next game. “RBC is a great team and a great challenge, and we will have to play our best football next Sunday.”

The Green Wave will take on Red Bank Catholic in the state championship game at MetLife Stadium at 7pm on Sunday, December 7th.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

30 + = 34

More in Featured